A short outside history of Xfce

Stephen Hurd shurd at sasktel.net
Wed May 3 19:02:51 CEST 2006

> As you can see here, the origins of Xfce are as a CDE'like panel.  The
> world may have moved past this but it's still the single main reason for
> some of us (ok, me) to use it.  Now you know where I'm coming from and
> why I ask for and look for the things I do.

Me too.  I run one main system and a whole bunch of underpowered systems as
X servers only at home.  Under this configuration, the big name systems
border on unusable very quickly.  I used BlackBox for myself for some time,
but when I got Xfce set up for the rest of the family, I discovered that I
still liked CDE, and having it modernized was a godsend.  Xfce is probobly
the first system I've used that #1 did everything I wanted it to do and #2
either didn't or could be configured not to do anything I don't want it to
do.

Well, except of course for my own pet wishlist item... a global panel config
that is merged with a users panel config as a minimum set of unalterable
items though the user could add their own... propogating a new app to the
whole family is annoying (but not annoying enough for me to write a program
to do it for me yet).

In short, wonderfull job, thanks for the work, and I love it.