xfce4-panel dying?

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 23:46:30 CET 2006

On 3/16/06, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> Josh Kelley wrote:
> > Is there a way to disable the session manager, to make sure that the
> > panel always runs on login?  It looks like editing
> > /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc would work, but that's not flagged as a config
> > file in the RPM I've been using (from CentOS Extras), which suggests
> > that it's really not intended to be done.
>
> You can disable the automatic session saving in the "Sessions and
> Startup" dialog. Or you could simply add a script to Autostart to
> automatically spawn xfce4-panel (the second instance will exit if the
> panel was successfully respawned by the session manager).

Automatic session saving is disabled, but the logout prompt has
session saving enabled by default, and I don't see a way to keep users
from enabling it if I disable it?

Thanks for the Autostart tip; I'll do that.

> > Any other recommendations for handling this problem?
>
> It might help if you specify which version of Xfce you are running, and
> which panel plugins are installed.

Oops, sorry about that.  Version 4.2.3.2, as provided by CentOS Extras
for CentOS 4.2.  I haven't installed any extra panel plugins, so I
just have whatever is provided by default.  (Are the graphical pager
and system clock plugins?  I'm not very familiar with XFCE, sorry.)

Josh Kelley