Where to set user specific environments?

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Wed Jun 28 17:18:49 CEST 2006

Hadmut Danisch wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 03:22:57PM +0200, Nikolas Arend wrote:
>

>> What kind
>> of "specific environment settings" would you like to adjust? Environment
>> variables?
>>

> The usual things someone puts in .login (when using tcsh) or .profile
> or xsession, and which have to be handed down to all processes of the
> session.
>
> E.g. plenty of environment variables, umask, history settings and
> things like that.

So, then why don't you put them in on of those files?

> What needs to be done is something like
>
> if [ -e $HOME/.xfcerc ]; then
> . $HOME/.xfcerc
> fi

I don't exactly see the problem, why don't you just create a
.config/xfce4/xinitrc with

if [ -e /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc ]; then
   . /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc
fi

YOUR_STUFF

Admittedly, that would be in some sort dependent on the xfce version, but I guess a .gnomerc is also GNOME-dependent.

BTW., with putting the configuration files in .config/, xfce follows the freedesktop standards. If you must set xfce-independent settings, there are mechanisms like .bash_rc and .bash_profile, as you mentioned.
Maybe I'm missing s.th. here.

Regards,   Nick.