Window menu hotkey

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Jun 25 19:32:28 CEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 18:08 +0200, Jean-Baptiste Mestelan wrote:
> Yes ? What do you mean ?

The separation of application and window manager.  There are some really
stupid things Explorer and WinForms do from a security/control
standpoint.

> At least, this (Alt) is a standard that all graphic applications seem
> to comply with, on that platform.

Actually, Microsoft copied a lot of things from X Window when it came to
these shortcuts.  But then they did further integration out of initial
design.

Understand that MS Windows started out as an "integrated window and
application" (not separate window and application) in a "task
sharing" (not multi-tasking) environment.  Much of that has to do with
how it seems to "integrated."

And it's that integration that's why sometimes an application can
seemingly "hang" the entire Explorer shell which, to make matters worse,
is tightly integrated into the GDI (NT-based kernels) which is at the
heart of the NT kernel.

> I am a very old man :-) and my wrists can get really sore from
> typing/moving the mouse, so I need to get all the help I can get from
> keyboard shortcuts.

Remap F10 to something else then.  But if you want integrated Alt
between window manager and application like Windows, there's a lot more
necessary the last time I checked.  You _might_ be able to get close in
functionality, but not quite the same.

> Do you not think there should be a stronger consensus around this ?

If the consensus was to always "act like MS Windows" in automation, then
X11 would be buggy and unreliable, and its applications would let you
blindly install all sorts of software and, correspondingly, desktop
worms with ease.

--
Bryan J. Smith           Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com