Cannot start xfce from vnc startup script

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 8 00:16:00 CEST 2006

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> On 6/4/2006 5:45 PM, Larry Alkoff wrote:
>> Part of the problem is that the
>> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.xfce
>> that I copied to ~/.xinitrc
>> is very complex and seems to use relative paths.
>> It's attached.
>
> You shouldn't be using this file as your ~/.xinitrc.  If you want to
> make local customisations to the $sysconfdir/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc file,
> copy it to ~/.config/xfce4/ and edit it there.  You should always start
> xfce by simply running 'startxfce4'.
>
> As Olivier mentioned later on, also be sure to unset SESSION_MANAGER if
> you start the vnc server from inside an existing xfce session.  So
> really, your ~/.vnc/xstartup should just look like this:
>
> - ------ cut here ------
> #!/bin/sh
>
> unset SESSION_MANAGER
> exec startxfce4
> - ------ cut here ------
>
> And that's it.  This assumes startxfce4 is in your PATH.  If not,
> obviously adjust that as needed.
>
> 	-brian

Wow Brian.  Your suggestion went a long way towards solving the problem
and, using your simple script, xfce same up with vncviewer.

Would you please look and comment on my log file from ~/.vnc/linda:1.log?
There is one line that is repeated 450 times!  But I've deleted all but
one of those.  I've attached it but am not sure this list allows
attachments.

I cannot understand what was wrong with my original ~/.vnc/xstartup
script unless VNC thought the xterm which starts was the actual X
session.  Here it is - quite short:

!/bin/sh
xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
# Finally, launch XFce window manager
# exec xfce
# xsetroot -solid black

## I tried each of the next three lines:
# exec /usr/bin/startxfce4
# exec xfce4-session
exec /usr/bin/xfwm4

Thanks very much for your obviously knowledgeble help.
I'm confident that xfce will work for me now.

Larry

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Slackware Linux