Cannot start xfce from vnc startup script

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 7 22:57:20 CEST 2006

Alexander Toresson wrote:
> On 6/7/06, Larry Alkoff <labradley at mindspring.com> wrote:
>> I am still having trouble using vnc's vncserver xstartup script to start
>> xfce.
>> Can anyone tell me what executable to run xfce in a vnc session?
>>

>> Everything is ok except starting the xfce executable.
>>
>> So far I have tried in the last line of the xstartup script:
>> exec /usr/bin/startxfce4
>> exec /usr/bin/xfce4-session
>> but neither displays xfce in the result vnc session.
>>
>> In an older version of xfce on another machine it is only necessary to have:
>> exec xfce
>> but there is no xfce anywhere on my new system.
>>
>> Larry
>>

> You need to run:
>
> unset SESSION_MANAGER
>
> before running startxfce4 or xfce4-session.
>
> Regards, Alexander Toresson

Alexander and Oliver - thanks for a very prompt reply.
I ran 'unset SESSION_MANAGER'
prior to running 'vncserver' and still saw the error
/usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :1
which I have gotten every time I tried to run startxfce4 in my vncserver
script.

Larry

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX