What is to be released to the world?

Oblio apa.chioara at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 09:47:39 CEST 2006

On 6/4/06, Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:
>         If it were my decision to make then yes, it is an accurate statement.
> But then with the way the free software world works you often have code
> that is technically still in a heavy development state being used in
> production all over the place.  The definitions of alpha, beta, gamma &
> production code have blurred to the point where the terms nearly have no
> meaning.  Just sift through the packages in your favorite distro and see
> how many have version numbers less than 1.0 to get an idea.

Hey, APT is at 0.6, and it's the one of the few applications that have
NEVER died out on me (even on Debian unstable) - even confrunted with
adverse circumstances (that is not to say that a faulty package cannot
disable APT, but then, what can a program do confrunted with human
stupidity?)

As far as I can tell, most open source developers set a very high goal
for 1.0, sometimes one that is VERY distant. Look at Inkscape: it's
1.0 release should have the full features (and even more), of Corel
Draw (IIRC, Corel Draw is at its tenth release or something like
that). Yet that doesn't mean that it's 0.43 release is a beta, it just
has fewer features than its target.

Regards,
Oblio