xfce4-panel question

Rinaldi J. Montessi montessir at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 5 15:11:47 CEST 2006

Robby Workman wrote:
[....]
> Are you using the weather plugin from goodies?  If so, try
> starting starting the panel from an xterm with the following line:
>    G_SLICE=always-mallac xfce4-panel &
>
> If it doesn't segfault, then export that environment variable in
> one of your shell init files (I use ~/.bash_profile).
>
>  From what I understand (which may be at least partially
> incorrect), this is a bug in the weather plugin (for 4.2.x) which
> was exposed by malloc changes to glibc/glib.  I *think* it's
> fixed in upstream sources for xfce 4.4 goodies svn repo...

The culprit is the weather plugin.

The G_SLICE solution didn't work, but since I so seldom shut down the X
server I simply removed the weather plugin, restarted Xfce4 and
re-installed the plugin.  Funny that that the plugin will work on a
running Panel with no problem.

Thanks for you assistance.

Rinaldi
--
Before Xerox, five carbons were the maximum extension of anybody's
ego.