What is to be released to the world? (was: Re: What bug report? (Re: Where to report bugs? [WAS: about symbolic links on Desktop]))

Andrew Conkling andrew.conkling at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 02:09:49 CEST 2006

On 6/3/06, Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:
> here's the progression (I distaste the term lifecycle) -
>
> Step 0: Start organizing an idea of what you are going to build [Only
> developer(s) see this]
>
> Step 1: Begin coding [Only developer(s) see this]
>
> Step 2: Once you get a functionally working foundation, put together a
> beta [Developers and a select user base see this]
>
> Step 3: Fix bugs and increment beta release [Developers and a select
> user base see this]
>
> Step 4: Once bugs are squashed to the satisfaction of everyone
> concerned, release a production version [Everyone gets to see this]

Hello Joseph (no Jimi that time... doh!),
Your post leaves me with a few impressions.  Firstly, that this is a
call to developers to expect less from users who wish to test/find
bugs, or otherwise help in a non-coding way.  I can appreciate this;
with the complications of building unstable software that doesn't
often sit well on top of a stable system, it's hard to test Xfce if
you also want to use Xfce.  (Disclaimer: Xfce happens to be some of
the most stable development code I've run.)

On the other hand, it would seem to discourage those willing to take
the time to keep up with development code to "go the extra mile" to
help in this way.  I mean, if developers had a "look but don't touch
(unless you intend on submitting patches)" attitude about their code,
I feel like this would sacrifice a bit of openness, if only in spirit.

Did I read you correctly, or have I got it wrong?