about symbolic links on Desktop

nusret nbalci_l at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 2 23:52:33 CEST 2006

--- Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:

> nusret wrote:
>
> > On the one hand you don't even want to hear about
> my distro: if
> > things go astray (I'm sure it will!) who will help
> me?
>
> 	You're using Xubuntu, right?  They are the ones who
> should be
> supporting you in this.  It's their patches and
> hacks, after all.

OK, actually I shouldn't write on this anymore; but to
make my point clear: If I try an Xubuntu patched
version, I'm being told to go Ubuntu guys. Not that I
like this, but I certainly understand it and have no
objections. By the way, I checked the Xubuntu version:
it was SVN 21874, not so distant, and Xubuntu patches
were under 20kB, most of which comments, build
scripts, etc. (for xfdesktop, not whole Xfce). But, as
I said before, I am not going to try to persuade
anybody to read other people's C code ;)

Just like that, if I install the SVN version and it
destabilize my system, they will have the right to
tell me go to Xfce people! It's your version after
all, right? Well, actually I think they will be
willing to help anyway, but who knows? That's what i
was talking about: I cannot possibly test a SVN
version, building from source, or by trying binaries
(which is not easy for linux: everybody has their own
patched libraries, etc.). I hope this clarifies my
question. It was rhetorical ;).

Of course, if I had to *file a formal bug report*, I
would ask it on ubuntu site, except there is not yet
an active Xubuntu forum :).

One way to encourage people to be able to help further
in testing can be to issue frequent SVN versions:
HOWEVER, these builds should be completely isolated,
without touching any stable configuration files,
libraries, etc. This is a one time work, but if Xfce
developers once do this, they can get feedback on
different aspects of the software and from *different
types of users*.

I need to emphasize once more: this is not because I
am not willing to participate in any genuine way in
the efforts towards making Xfce better and more
comfortable to use. But this burden should be
reasonable. There is no point in screwing up my system
knowing that it won't serve any useful outcome.

So, if you find something I said worth investigating,
be it about bugs or features (which are even more
important than crashes: I have no doubt you'll fix any
crash sooner or later. I would rather waste my words
ranting about features that i like/dislike and trying
to persuade people :)), go ahead and check it.
Otherwise just ignore: but be assured I don't mean to
be annoying.

Anyways, enough said...
Regards,

nusret