about symbolic links on Desktop

nusret nbalci_l at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 2 06:47:31 CEST 2006

--- Biju Chacko <botsie at xfce.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>
> > As for behavior, sure, fire away.  I'm not
> particularly happy with the
> > context menu handling with xfdesktop + file icon
> view right now, but
> > it's the best I can do without turning xfdesktop
> into something it's
> > not.  The icon view (especially the *file* icon
> view) is an add-on
> > feature intended as an interim solution.  It is
> what it is, and I'm not
> > going to compromise the maintainability of
> xfdesktop just to make the
> > context menu of the file icon view make more
> sense.  Nor do I want to
> > spend a large amount of time finding maintainable
> solutions.
>

> How about this: Move the Xfce menu from right-click
> to left click. Then
> you can use right-click for a real context menu.
>
> -- b

IMHO, the context menu should exactly like Thunar
context menu (maybe) plus some Desktop specific
actions. The plugin panel menu is good as it is (it
should be exactly like current context menu). I agree
that the current desktop menu that you get
right-clicking in the empty desktop area is not
related to Desktop folder at all, except for a few
useful action. Desktop has two aspects: it's both a
gate to the rest of your computer, and it *is* a first
class folder. Current model seems to ignore the second
aspect.

I don't know all the customization options for Thunar
context menu, but it looks like tailored for the job.
By the way, I just noticed (by accident) that there is
a third menu: when you click both mouse buttons at the
same time you get something about workspaces :).

I personally don't feel like it's a good idea to show
a menu with left click of the mouse. It should be
reserved for block selections (in my opinion).

Nusret