about symbolic links on Desktop

nusret nbalci_l at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 2 01:55:52 CEST 2006

--- "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> On 6/1/2006 3:19 PM, nusret wrote:
>
> > By the way, you shouldn't require us to first go
> > elsewhere (Xubuntu forums, etc.) : by hearing
> about
> > the problems people experience, you'll have a
> better
> > picture of what's going on around.
>
> Sorry, I was more referring here to actual bug
> reports.  If something's
> crashing on Xubuntu's patched version of whatever, I
> don't really want
> to hear about it.  I don't know the details of the
> version they're
> using.  While we're in the beta cycle, I'm fixing
> bugs as I see them, so
> it wastes my time to hear about bugs unless people
> have tested against
> current SVN trunk.

I don't know what's the percentage of users who always
use latest SVN trunk, but never mind. It's your call
how you investigate the bugs/features. To me, this
basically means "never file a bug report" :). As a
well-behaved user, I will never do.

But after all, we don't know for sure that it's
Xubuntu, right?

Anyway, as I said, what to take into consideration
during development is completely you call and I
respect that. Unfortunately there is no way around,
you'll hear from time to time such things, just as we
have to live with your design decisions even when we
liked it otherwise :).

But overall, it's really a good and balanced desktop
compared to its alternatives. Congratulations for your
successful efforts!

> As for behavior, sure, fire away.  I'm not
> particularly happy with the
> context menu handling with xfdesktop + file icon
> view right now, but
> it's the best I can do without turning xfdesktop
> into something it's
> not.  The icon view (especially the *file* icon
> view) is an add-on
> feature intended as an interim solution.  It is what
> it is, and I'm not
> going to compromise the maintainability of xfdesktop
> just to make the
> context menu of the file icon view make more sense.
> Nor do I want to
> spend a large amount of time finding maintainable
> solutions.
>
> 	-brian

Whatever you decide on, it's your baby after all!

Regards,
Nusret