about symbolic links on Desktop

nusret nbalci_l at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 16:32:35 CEST 2006

--- Andrew Conkling <andrew.conkling at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/1/06, nusret <nbalci_l at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > 1) When i create a symbolic link on desktop from a
> > terminal, say
> >
> > ln -s /etc etc_dir_pointer
> >
> > a little icon shows up. However, when I
> right-click on
> > the icon and select "Properties", all the icons
> > disappear and as i don't know how to fix it, i
> need to
> > logout and login again to bring back any icon on
> the
> > desktop. Any suggestions?
>
> I'd be interested to see if xfdesktop is crashing.
> You could check to
> see if it's running in the System Monitor (Menu >
> System > System
> Monitor, IIRC).  If so, running it again (Alt+F2
> will give you the Run
> dialog) would most likely give you your icons back.
>
> That way, at least you may not have to log out each
> time....

Exactly as you suspected, xfdesktop was not running!
And again exactly as you pointed out, Alt+F2 trick
worked. Thank you!

> > 2) When I open the menu editor, it creates an
> empty
> > xml file in my .config directory and the whole
> menu
> > disappears! Even if it asks me to save changes, it
> > saves nothing but an empty xml file. It is
> seriously
> > broken in my system. I can bring back my menu only
> if
> > I delete the menu.xml file. Also, when I try to
> run
> > the xfce4-menueditor from console, it segfaults. I
> > don't know if this is a problem with xubuntu
> > distributed version, or with XFCE 4.4 Beta1.
>
> Ubuntu isn't just running the beta; they have a
> patched-up version
> that is generally in sync (very loosely) with the
> SVN tree.  The only
> thing I can think to try here is to test it with a
> new user?

I don't see what difference should it make to test
with a new user, so I skip this one :). I also like my
current user :).

> > 3) When I right-click on the desktop, I don't get
> an
> > option to create an icon on the desktop. I get
> this
> > option when i right click on an already existing
> > launcher! I really don't like the design of the
> > context  menu that you get when right-click on the
> > desktop.
> <SNIP>
>
> This is by design, and the right-click menu is one
> of the best things
> about xfdesktop.

To have a right_click menu is, of course, a very goo
thing. Problem is: it's just a copy of system menu.
This is just duplication and you have to do roundabout
things to get the needed basic functionality. For
example, there are no copy/cut/paste, create, etc.
menu items on this menu. When I need these (which i do
very often), I have to open a Thunar window (from
system menu :)), go to the Desktop folder there, and
right click within Thunar. It's much less fancier, but
functionally better designed context menu. you may not
agree, but I'm pretty sure you see my point.

Now, I see people prefer different approaches. As I
said, *I* don't like the current one (i guess it's
just like the one in KDE, right?--I am not sure
though), so I wanted to know if it's possible to
modify.

> > My system is Xubuntu 6.06 RC, with XFCE 4.4 Beta
> 1.
>
> I'm assuming you're up-to-date with your packages?
> If so, depending
> on what the devs say as far as 1) and 2), it'd be
> best to file bugs on
> launchpad.net.  Feel free to contact me off-list if
> you have any
> questions about that.
>
> HTH,
> Andrew

Yes I am up-to-date with packages. I don't dare to
file bugs yet. Some bugs may be by design. Just
kidding ;).
Thank you for your willingness to help!
Regards,

Nusret