Is it possible to print?

Rainer Fischer raifi at gmx.net
Fri Jul 28 15:26:58 CEST 2006

Nikolas Arend schrieb:
> Rainer Fischer wrote:
>
>> The answer upon the subject´s question is: YES!
>> I configured two printers (one local HP Deskjet 690C and
>> one remote via SAMBA HP Laserjet 1100).
>>
>> Here is my /etc/cups/printers.conf:
>>
>> # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.2.1
>> # Written by cupsd on 2006-07-28 13:02
>> <Printer HP1100>
>> Info HP Laserjet 1100
>> Location D1000
>> DeviceURI smb://wir/d1000/HP1100
>> State Idle
>> StateTime 1154084492
>> Accepting Yes
>> Shared Yes
>> JobSheets none none
>> QuotaPeriod 0
>> PageLimit 0
>> KLimit 0
>> OpPolicy default
>> ErrorPolicy stop-printer
>> </Printer>
>> #
>> <Printer hp_par_DESKJET_690C>
>> Info HP DESKJET_690C
>> Location Local Printer
>> DeviceURI hp:/par/DESKJET_690C?device=/dev/parport0
>> State Idle
>> StateTime 1153488645
>> Accepting Yes
>> Shared Yes
>> JobSheets none none
>> QuotaPeriod 0
>> PageLimit 0
>> KLimit 0
>> OpPolicy default
>> ErrorPolicy stop-printer
>> </Printer>
>>
>> Nevertheless nothing happens on clicking
>> "Print Dialog" in the accessories menu, and
>> both printers are shown by name "unknown"
>> in the "Print Manager" menu item.
>>

> Rainer, one last comment in that thread before it can die... I suggested
> a bunch of things to try to determine where the problem lies and what's
> happening. Don't get me wrong, but if you don't try them or describe
> things as fuzzy as you did, there's little chance of getting to the
> bottom of the problem.
> Once again... Did you try running xfprint4 from a terminal like
> $ xfprint4
> (which should bring up a file selection dialog)

Sorry, but I had been so happy to get the samba printing started that I
totally forgot to
answer your questions.

Each time xfprint4 is invoked from a console (root or user) the messages are
as follows (after bringing up the file dialog):

(xfprint4:#job no.) Warning: failed request with status 1030 #4 times
segmentation fault
That should not occur (pointer set to something not allowed?)

> or
> $ xfprint4 some_file.txt
> (which should bring up the printing dialog)
>
> Does it start and if not, what is the output (i.e. any error messages,
> is it crashing with a segmentation fault)?

So it is. Please inform me, when the bug is being fixed.

Rainer