xfprint and samba

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Thu Jul 27 14:15:58 CEST 2006

Rainer Fischer wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:22:26 +0200, Nikolas Arend wrote:
>

>>>  I am using
>>> xfce 4.4 Beta1 (4.3.90.2) and cups in Xubuntu 6.06 LTS.
>>> With the cups web-interface (http://localhost:631) I succeed
>>> in installiing and managing a local printer (HP Deskjet 690C).
>>> But until now I did not succeed in configuring
>>> a Samba printer by that.
>>> xfcewiki.org says that samba prinrting is on
>>> the wish list. I cannot really believe this.
>>>

>> Hm, the first post was not about printing via Samba
>>
> Sorry, that´s why I am going to start a new thread here.
>

>> And I don't exactly
>> see what that has to do with xfce.
>>

> More exactly: with xfprint
>

>> The printers are installed and the
>> spooling is still done by CUPS. So as I see it, please correct me if
>> that's not true, all properly installed and working CUPS printers should
>> work in xfce as well (given that CUPS was chosen as printing system in
>> the settings manager).
>>

> CUPS ist chosen as printing system.
>
> The "Print Manager"  displays my local printer as Type "Unknown"
> (but it  woks fine ;-)).

I'm using a quite up-to-date svn xfce version (r22526) and cups 1.1.23,
xfprint4-manager shows all my (network) printers ok.

> The "Print Dialog" does not show anything ;-((.

Works here too. How did you install xfce?

> With english language support a window opens,
> but does not allow entries.

When you do what? Run xfprint4 from console?

> The cups web interface suggests smb:// for
> the Samba Printer.  Maybe the reason is a not
> properrly configured Samba Client.

Does the printer work from other applications that use different
printing frontends (e.g. OpenOffice or Gnome stuff)?

> Otherwise: Maybe that only ipp:// ist supported
> in xfce?
>
> How can I verify this

Actually, I don't know much about xfprint. Whether or not its proper
functioning depends on the protocol via that CUPS talks to the printer,
I don't know. Xfprint's maintainer should know all about it.

BTW, you should send this not only to me privately, but to the xfce
mailinglist if you want others than me reading your posts ;-)

Nick.