debian package, upgrade and libxfce4util4?

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 19:17:42 CEST 2006

You're welcome.

I prefer the debian, apt-get, synaptic course too.

Why I went the direct route...
MEPIS, ubuntu, debian, synaptic, Kpackage were not giving the desired
results. I worked on trying to get that to work right for many hours.
No complaint about that...just a fact. I wanted to use XFCE. I'd used
it before successfully. I saw that the XFCE forums and support were
active, helpful and _knowledgeable_.

Using an installer for Linux is similar to how it's done with Windows.
A key advantage to using the package approach with Linux is that the
software has been vetted pretty well. So less chance of trojans and
other junk. The installer for XFCE 4.3.90.2 is on a link from the XFCE
site. Hard to see how it could be any safer.

Yes, it's a beta. So there may be things that don't work right. But
considering your experience (and mine which is virtually the same),
the beta works right and the debian approach doesn't.

Carl