4.4beta2 logout window not working

James Turner jturner at gemini.edu
Wed Jul 26 01:11:08 CEST 2006

I have compiled Xfce 4.4 beta 2 from source on Debian Sarge (Linux 2.4)
and installed it in /usr/local. In general it is working well, but when
I select "Quit" from the menu or press the logout icon on the panel,
nothing at all happens. The logout dialogue does not appear. Running
xfce4-session-logout or /usr/local/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper also
produces no result. The latter says "XFSM_SUDO_DONE" and then "FAILED"
on the terminal. I don't see anything special in .xsession-errors, except
a message from startxfce4 at the top, saying that an X server is already
running (I am starting Xfce via gdm).

Searching on the Web, I found a similar Debian-related problem, which
the user had solved by linking /usr/X11R6/bin/iceauth to a symbolic link
in /usr/bin. That doesn't make any difference for me, however.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I nearly have my old computer
ready to hand over to an orphans' centre here in Chile :-).

Thanks,

James.