settings manager/menus don't work, desktop icon funnies (MEPIS, Ubuntu)

Carl carlsymons at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 16:38:55 CEST 2006

On Monday 24 July 2006 11:03 pm, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On 7/24/2006 7:53 PM, Carl wrote:
> > Did a fresh reload of XFCE through Synaptic
> > of the same XFCE package (4.3.0, I think) as I had previously.
>
> The version number would be the most critical piece of information
> here...  Please do more than "think".
>
> 	-brian

Yeah, you're right. My apologies.

The information given in package manager is:
version		4.3.0-0ubuntu1
filename		pool/universe/x/xfce4/ xfce4_4.3.0-0ubuntu1_all.deb

With the install from binaries, I did a search & destroy on all likely
detritus of previous installs based on xfce-list suggestion: "didn't remove
xfce4.2 correctly. Your xfce installation is probably trying to use older
parts, which doesn't work. Remove the entire package completely and
re-install."

The reinstall with package manager was done completely inside the package
manager except for deleting ~/.config. So it may not have been the same as an
install for someone who had never used a previous version.

Carl