settings manager/menus don't work, desktop icon funnies

Carl carlsymons at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 21:53:22 CEST 2006

After combing through XFCE ML archives since Jan, trying various
seemingly-related suggestions, adding considerably to my experience of Linux
beyond the GUI...

Started using XFCE with MEPIS 6 rc3
MEPIS 6 uses Ubuntu 6.06 as primary repository
Loaded XFCE and a few plugins--but not weather--through Synaptic PkgMgr

Excellent, no problems, everything worked with no hitches. Very good job on
XFCE! I prefer it over KDE, which is MEPIS standard.

Did a clean install of M6.0Final. Did a fresh reload of XFCE through Synaptic
of the same XFCE package (4.3.0, I think) as I had previously.

Now there are the following symptoms:
1. Desktop Rightclick menu works except for most choices under Settings
-Settings-Autostarted applications works
-Settings-menu editor works
-None of the other choices bring up a window. They do however take window
focus away from whatever is active on the desktop (such as this email
message). It is as if something is running, but not visible.
2. AltF2 doesn't bring up a dialog box
3. Desktop icons appear as a sheet of paper with a dogeared corner...except
every once in a while. Example--rightclick on desktop, choose
Settings/Desktop Settings; focus leaves email message, 2 desktop icons
momentarily appear as file folder and trash bin, focus returns to email
message and icons revert to paper sheets. The Desktop Settings window does
not appear.
4. All Thunar icons are paper sheet
5. Sometimes (haven't noticed cause/effect) the desktop icons disappear and
desktop rightclick has no apparent effect. If I run /usr/bin/xfdesktop as a
panel launcher button, the icons reappear and desktop rightclick works.

It's not a huge deal, the panel and appfinder run almost everything needed.
Don't want to just give up.

A little wet behind the ears Linuxly. It seems like the answer is just barely
out of my reach. Any ideas?

Thank you
Carl