Semi-OT: Desktop/Window Manager poll

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Fri Jul 21 20:14:15 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 21:42 -0400, JoeHill wrote:

> > reasonable percentage.
>
> What do you expect when the default desktop for most of the top
> distro's is KDE?
>
> Or even when the default is Guh-nome (stolen from Stephen Kuhn...I miss
> him), people of course freak and immediately switch to KDE?

	I know, and it's disheartening.  KDE and GNOME used to be virtually
identical until GNOME had the sense to switch to it's current form (as
seen in FC).  Now it's marginally better.  At this point in time, Xfce4
is the premier desktop (though, unfortunately, 4.4 will no longer have a
CDE compatibility configuration).  Like with OS's, the dominant Linux
desktop is the worst of the bunch.  Wait, that's not quite the way to
say it.  KDE is outstanding but not as good as GNOME and far from Xfce4.
This is all from a UI perspective and not a reflection of it's
technology and the developers.