newbie - menu disappears

Andrew Conkling andrew.conkling at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 16:36:37 CEST 2006

On 7/19/06, Gilgam Webdesign et conseil <contact at gilgam.com> wrote:
> + My desktop or desktop menu has disappeared!?
>
> It appears that xfdesktop is no longer in control of the desktop. Often
> xfdesktop has died, or some other program took over the desktop. Make
> sure that xfdesktop is still running first. Nautilus takes over the
> desktop by default too. Please start nautilus with the --no-desktop
> flag, or use gconf-editor and unset the flag that tells nautilus to
> handle the desktop (/apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop). Start
> xfdesktop again and you should be OK again.
>
> Hi i've installed xubuntu on a computer illiterate user, and he is
> satisfied with, but in changing the desktop background, the menu
> disappeared from the right click and in the panel .
>
> i've seen the explanination above but do you have something with more
> explainations  (what should i type in console...) ?

Alt+F2, run 'xfdesktop'.  Alternatively, you could top and/or ps to
find out if Nautilus has taken over the desktop and if xfdesktop is
running at the time, e.g. 'ps -A | grep nautilus'.  You may want to
install gconf-editor and set the key
'/apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop' to False.  This will tell
Nautilus not to take over the desktop when run in Xfce.

HTH,
Andrew