thunar + mountpoints + sort by name and case

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Thu Jul 13 11:23:04 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 13:54 +0200, Gerald Barre wrote:

> >  Look for  * "MiscCaseSensitive (FALSE/TRUE)"
>
> Did someone noticed that if you ask for viewing hidden files, those
> files are sorted first, very annoying for me.

	They are supposed to be sorted first.  The proper sort order for a *NIX
based system is -

special character files
numeric
upper case alpha
lower case alpha

An example might be something like this -

%blah
.profile
.vimrc
.xfwm4rc
1-file.txt
1_file.txt
9-file.txt
ASuperBigAssFile.xml
Another file
Words.txt
Zelnorm.info.txt
better-homes-and-gardens.txt
sports_illustrated.reg
why.cant.we.all.just.get.along

	This is the way that files are supposed to be sorted.  It makes more
logical sense and conforms with ISO sorting standards.  MS has always
had a really broken file system from back in the MS-DOS days.  This has
had the unfortunate effect of getting people used to the illogical and
frustrating sorting of files that we now see in their operating systems.

	One of the annoying things about Linux gaining more mainstream
popularity has been the way it's being dumbed down and intentionally
broken in order to make it look and feel like WinXX systems (see KDE).
It's like taking a 1960's era mustang, ripping out the engine and
transmission and replacing it with a bicycle chain and peddles.

Joe "Yes, I'm cranky at 5am" Klemmer