Using Panel Plugins

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 26 03:48:27 CET 2006

   When I moved from the 2.4 to the 2.6 kernel series the battstat command
line application stopped working on my Sony Vaio with acpi. (Of course, the
old apm utility still works on the older portables that used that for battery
status.)

   After a little rummaging around on the Xfce web site I discovered the
battery plugin and the system status plugin. Downloaded both tarballs and
built the system status one; used checkinstall to make a Slackware package
and installed that on my server. Shutdown X and restarted it. Looked in the
settings area for it, but couldn't find it.

   How do I invoke these applets? If there's something in the manual about
this then I missed seeing it when I looked.

   And, will the battery status work with the newer kernels and portable
status reporting?

Thanks,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"