xfprint4 "Unable to Print To Temporary File" When Printing

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Wed Jan 25 02:17:45 CET 2006

John Altstatt wrote:
> Mark Kane wrote:
>> Hi everyone.
>>
>> I'm trying to get a printer working on a machine that's running Xfce and
>> FreeBSD. I've got CUPS and all that going, but throughout the course of
>> trying to get that printing properly, xfprint4 started giving two errors.
>>
>> I was working on getting printing working last night, and at first I was
>> having some problems with CUPS and getting it to print properly. I
>> continued to troubleshoot that, but without changing anything on the
>> machine, xfprint4 started giving me the following two errors whenever
>> trying to print:
>>
>> - Unable to Print To Temporary File
>> - An Error Occurred
>>
>> I almost got the CUPS end figured out I think, but I can no longer print
>> this way to test. So my questions are:
>>
>> 1) What file is it trying to output to? I have ample free space on all
>> partitions so I'm not sure why it couldn't write.
>>
>> 2) Any way to get a more descriptive error message?
>>
>> 3) What would cause this and how would it be fixed?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> -Mark
>> Xfce 4.2.3
>> FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE

> Perhaps you should be check the permissions of /var/spool/cups .  Mine
> looks like rwx--x--- 3 root sys.
> (on FC3, not FreeBSD, however).
>
> -John Altstatt

Thanks for your response. It's pretty much the same here:

drwx--x---  3 root   daemon  512 Jan 23 21:45 cups

The problem started happening after printing several test jobs to try to
get it printing the right things. It kept printing PostScript code
instead of the actual text which is what I'm trying to troubleshoot on
that end, but I can't print anything now because of these errors.
Nothing was changed between the time it was working and when it wasn't,
just 5-6 test pages printed and then it stopped.

Thanks

-Mark

--
GnuPG Public Key:
http://www.mkproductions.org/mk_pubkey.asc

Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com
Rock 101.9 The Edge (Rock) - http://www.rock1019.net

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)