taskbar text issue after crash

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Sat Jan 21 15:07:09 CET 2006

Hi folks,

My computer crashed a couple of weeks ago due to a hardware problem,
-- so it crashed pretty hard.  Nonetheless the system is mostly ok,
but now I have a wierd problem with text in the taskbar (I think it's
the taskbar -- the list of windows that lives by default at the top
ofthe screen).  When a window has a long title -- usually this happens
with firefox -- the text used to be truncatedto fit into the
boundaries oft he button representingthat window.  Now however the
text is no longer shortened, so that a wondow might say:
" this is an html page with very long title - firefox"
which runs over the edge of the box & leads to a very messy, almosti
ndescipherable display.  I assume that this problem is a result of
some corrupted file in my settings directory, but I don't know which
one it might be nor how to fix it.  Can anyone make any suggestions?
thanksd,

matt

Matt Price	    matt.price at utoronto.ca
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094