Wiki documentation

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 19 02:17:02 CET 2006

What's wrong with just a link on the wiki to http://xfce.org/documentation/?

> However, that brings up an interesting point: what if we put the
> documentation on the wiki and changes are made to it?  I suppose we
> could monitor them to make sure they're positive and clear, but that
> has the potential to provide more and better documentation (not to say
> anything bad about it currently) that could be provided with future
> versions of the docs with the packages.

Perhaps, but this is more work that someone has to assume responsibility
for.  Personally I don't want to merge doc changes from a wiki into
docbook.  That sounds like a waste of time for me, so I'm not going to
do it, in favor of updating my docs myself as I see a need to.  If
someone wants to help update the documentation, the docbook source --
which is very readable and easy to edit -- is available from SVN, and
patches are always welcome.  We could even include direct links do the
docbook source in some kind of "how to contribute" section.

> I'm jus' sayin', ya know?  I'm not really wiki-crazy, but they do seem
> like a pretty good resource when done well.

Sure they are, for some applications.  I just don't think this is one of
them, but I'm probably biased as I generally dislike wikis.

	-brian