OT: Debian fscks (was: Re: Shutdown not unmounting drive cleanly)

Richard Boyce boyce at ccdc.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 18 10:55:01 CET 2006

I too am running debian testing (and xfce 4.2), and I too occasionally
get fsck invoked after a reboot. I'm certain this is nothing to do with
xfce or any kind of unclean unmount, as the reason given by fsck is
'timestamp in future' or something similar. Could be that debian isn't
setting the bios clock like it ought to.

Getting off-topic now though!

Richard

Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 at 1:44pm, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>
> :On 1/17/2006 12:59 PM, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> :> Hello:
> :>
> :> I've been using the session manager's shutdown function without problems
> :> for a while, but the last two times, on rebooting I'm told that my drive
> :> was not shut down cleanly and fsck is invoked.  I shut down my last
> :> session manually and rebooted cleanly, so it seems that
> :> xfsm-shutdown-helper is what's causing the problem.  Any thoughts?
> :> (Debian testing, xfce 4.2).
> :
> :This has nothing to do with Xfce.  xfsm-shutdown-helper just verifies
> :that you have permission to shut the system down (or reboot it).  The
> :'shutdown' command is actually used to halt or reboot the system.  If
> :it's not shutting down cleanly, it's a problem with Debian, not Xfce.
>
> Well, now it's not reproducible, so maybe the problem has sorted itself
> out!
>
> Patrick

Richard Boyce
SysEng, CCDC