Expand option in tasklist (xfce4-panel, svn)

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Thu Jan 12 20:57:38 CET 2006

Andrew Conkling schreef:
> On 1/11/06, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> wrote:
>> Stefan Stuhr schreef:

>>> I think the best solution would be a panel plugin API addition; a way to
>>> get panel settings for the panel that contains the plugin. Also, a new
>>> signal would be needed, for notifying plugins about panel setting
>>> changes, providing the changed setting name and new (and maybe old?)
>>> value. Alternatively, there could simply be made a way to get the Full
>>> Width setting, and a signal for changes to the Full Width setting. But I
>>> like the idea about a more generic way to get - and be notified about
>>> changes to - panel settings.
>> Unless there are more cases where this is useful I really don't want to
>> expose any more information to the plugins or add yet another signal.
>>
>> Do you see any other uses for this?
>>
>> I still much prefer to improve the wording of the option.
>
> What about disabling (or making invisible) the checkbox if the panel
> is not set to take the full width?  That seems like it would avoid the
> confusion, but I'm afraid that I'm misunderstanding and this is akin
> to what Stefan was suggesting.

My objection to stefan's suggestion is purely from an implementation
point of view. Currently plugins have no way of knowing about the
settings of the panel.

I want to keep the amount of information that is passed between panel
and plugins as small as possible, so I would rather not add this to the
API unless there are more uses for it than this one.

	Jasper