Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 20:07:53 CET 2006

On 1/11/06, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> wrote:
> Erik Harrison schreef:
> >> Ah, this makes more sense.  I have seen that before where the
> >> indicator just keeps on spinning (given my choice in cursor) even
> >> after the app has started.  Is there any way to check for the presence
> >> of startup notification, something like "If we get a signal from this
> >> app, we'll show the busy cursor, otherwise not at all"?  (Honestly, I
> >> confess I don't know much about how this works, even though I've
> >> worked in GTK+ 2.6.)  Of course, I understand that even if it were
> >> possible to support something like that, it may just support outdated
> >> software, and if that's the case, I'm with you, Olivier!
> >
> > I think there is a solution to it now. Assuming a launcher is built
> > from a .desktop file (in the case of using the appfinder widget from
> > the panel), then the .desktop file declares support for SN or not.
> >
> > Beyond that, I don't believe it is possible to check. Basically, the
> > protocol doesn't allow the app to startup and say "Yo! Doing the
> > startup thing" (thus letting us know it supports SN). The rationale is
> > the app is starting up, thus there could be a potentially significant
> > delay in the message which tells us startup is beginning. Thus
> > delaying the startup alert, killing the whole point.
> >
> > Jasper, thoughts?
>
> Many. But not necessarily on this subject ;-)
>
> Hmm, how about turning it on by default? That might be an acceptable
> intermediate solution?

I'm a little concerned about it spinning on and on for apps that
launch quick and don't support SN.

But, tell you what. That's what SVN is for. Try it, and see the
feedback, perhaps

>         Jasper

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."