Gvim window activated by mutt doesn't gain focus

Paulo Marcel Coelho Aragao marcelpaulo+l at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 15:06:00 CET 2006

Olivier FOURDAN wrote on Jan, 10:

[...]

> > focus ? I can't think of a mutt/gvim scenario where I'd create a new mail
> > editing buffer if I didn't want to edit it (give it focus). It's the least
> > surprising thing to be done.

> I understand you point, but there is nothing I can do about that. Maybe you
> could ask the GVIM people to pass a 0 as "source indication" (as explained
> on the given link, clients using older version of this spec use 0 as source
> indication, see the section called "Source indication in requests" for
> details), so that no timestamp gets involved in the NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW focus
> mechanism.

I was submitting the bug report on gvim and it occurred to me: wouldn't it be
a valid feature an xfwm4 config option to ignore the timestamp from
NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW and always give focus ? The "rule of least surprise" may be
worth abiding to even if that means patronizing misbehaved applications such
as gvim. A config option might be a fair compromise.

Paulo