xpdf -fullscreen under xfce

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Mon Jan 2 21:56:34 CET 2006

Matthias Blau wrote:
> Thanks, this is a step forward: Alt+F11 makes the panel disappear, so
> the 2nd issue is solved, but unfortunately not the first one.
>
> It works under GNOME however, so it should work under xfce as well, somehow.

Works in gnome simply means xpdf was tested on gnome, nothing more.

xpdf doesn't use the EWMH standard to achieve fullscreen and tries
instead to achieve fullscreen by positionning its window itself at
(0,0). Unfortunately, this won't work with modern environment which
implements layers, and docks will be placed above, whatever the
application may try to do.

xfwm4 implements some hooks to detect such older "legacy" applications
that try to achieve fullscreen, but that doesn't work in all cases.
Adding more hacks to the window manager is not the way to go.

You may way to use some other PDF reader that is EWMH compliant or bug
the people who wrote xpdf so that they implement the EWMH standard in xpdf.

BTW, ALt+F11 does switch to fullscreen, I don't know what you mean by
the first issue not being solved, the slider is managed by the
application (xpdf in this case), not the environment. You'll have it in
gnome too.

Cheers,
Olivier.