X environment

Tor Olav Stava t-ol-sta at online.no
Tue Feb 28 12:19:57 CET 2006

Jan wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I'm using Gentoo with Xfce as desktop (with GDM for login).
>In file /etc/profile.env I have line:
>export LANG='en_US.UTF-8'
>
>However for certain user I want LC_COLLATE to be
>LC_COLLATE='ja_JP.UTF-8', therefore I set it in
>~user/.bashrc
>
>The problem is that in xterm I get it set properly however when running
>(for example evolution mail client) from xfce menu
>LC_COLLATE='ja_JP.UTF-8' is apparently ignored. (Addresses in evolution
>are not sorted properly).
>
>Why is my bash environment and X environmet different ?

This is really more appropriate in an Xorg/Xfree discussion.

The locale can be setup in xorg.conf. If you need different locale/kbd
for different users, you probably have to set up some kbd switching
(also in xorg.conf). I'm not sure about the details, but I know it's
possible (google might help you)

Another thing, is that GDM (or XDM/KDM) won't source the profile/bashrc
files. I never found where to put global environment variables when
using the XDM (in my case). Symptom: When starting a shell all
environment variables are set properly (in the shell), but Xfce don't
know about them.

For further investigation, I would suggest you sign up for and X*
mailing list, and ask about the xorg.conf details, and I guess a
gnome-ML would be appropriate for GDM.

Tor Olav