menu again

Andrew Conkling andrew.conkling at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 15:15:54 CET 2006

On 2/22/06, Erika Meier <erika0815 at web.de> wrote:
> On 22.02.2006 10:53:19 Foxy wrote:
> >David Thompson wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I dont think I explained myself thoroughly.
> >>
> >> I need to be able to edit the menu.  When I say menu I mean the menu
> >> that comes up, when right clicking the desktop, which is the same menu
> >> that can be placed in the panel and has 'xfce menu' written on it.
> >>
> >> The xfce4-menueditor only has basic menu details.  I need to be able to
> >> remove entries by hand, and within certain categories.  Such as
> >> 'Office>Abiword' or 'Wine>dreamweaver'.
> >>
> >> How can this be done?
> >>
> >> All the best.
> the xfce menu can be found and edited in
> ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml A ls in the xfce config
> directory would have led you there much quicker..

Except that David seems to be talking about the system menu.  If so,
there's no easy way to do it.  Foxy mentioned editing the .desktop
files, but those will likely be overwritten when you upgrade/reinstall
a program.  I think this is supposed to be better in the future, but
honestly, the only way I've found to do it is to run gnome-panel and
use alacarte, the menu editor for the GNOME menu.  When I first
switched to Xfce SVN and things weren't so stable with the panel, I
actually ran gnome-panel in Xfce for a while; I had my short-list apps
on the xfdesktop menu and the full menu in the GNOME panel.  Honestly,
I rather liked that setup.

Other than that, there's not really any easy way to go, because the
system menu is generated on-the-fly, which is its strength. ;)

Cheers,
Andrew

--
http://aconkling.blogspot.com