OT: Why planet gnome doesn't tell all the truth? ... strikes back.

roger rstmp at iinet.com.au
Wed Feb 22 09:01:48 CET 2006

> Some fo you tell that user never executes a stupid "time
> cat /usr/share/dict/words" command. You are right, but this reasoning
> invalidates any benchmark you perform on a computer, since you never
> executes 'stupid' benchmarks on a computer as a usual task. Benchmarks
> are benchmarks. If they are not stupid because they are not benchmarks.
Sorry Xavier if I made myself misunderstood with my initial comment. I was
trying to say that, if you benchmark terminals, the popup time, as well as
the resource required, should also be considered (if - and only if -
differences are significant). I understand how difficult performing a
benchmark can be and I definitely don't think that your measurements were
stupid. But as Brian pointed out, this may be off-topic on the Xfce list
(although personally I here learned a few things I wasn't aware of about
xterm's capabilities => I will die less idiot :) )

However in that reply, my question wasn't off-topic at all... and unanswered.
Things seemed better off when run under Xfce... did that mean that Xfce left
critical resources to real programs, significantly? Unfortunately, I'm now
afraid that those results were just test case-dependent...

Cheers,
Roger