XUrgency in Xfce

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Thu Feb 16 15:51:30 CET 2006

Erika Meier wrote:
> On 15.02.2006 14:31:00 Erik Harrison wrote:
>>> I enabled it in gAIM and waited for a few messages. They came in with
>>> the sounds but nothing ever flashed.
>>>
>>> I'm using:
>>>
>>> gaim-1.5.0_2
>>> xchat2-2.6.1
>>> xfce-4.2.3.2
>>>
>>> (All compiled via FreeBSD ports on FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE [amd64])
> you also have to set the preferences in gaim to set the urgent hint on
> the windows....

That's what I believe I did. I don't use gAIM or any IM clients at all
myself (only XChat IRC) so I could have missed something, but from
looking all through the options the only place I see anything about the
urgent hint is "Preferences -> Plugins -> Message Notification -> Set
Window Manager URGENT Hint". That's what I set and it's not flashing.

I grepped through the FreeBSD ports directories to find any options that
might disable this on compile or a knob to turn it on upon compile, but
there is nothing relating to "urgent" anywhere. That plus the fact that
it has a problem in both XChat and gAIM would lead me to believe that it
is a bug.

This is what the XChat changelog entry says (added June 2005):

- Implemented taskbar flashing on unix. Requires a window manager or
taskbar that supports XUrgency flag (Adil).

I searched their forums about it but found no problems except old posts
asking when they would implement that feature, but from the date its
been implemented for quite a while now and there don't seem to be many
problems with it.

How should I proceed with this? Should I mark it as a bug? Is there any
more tests I should perform to make sure it's a bug?

Thanks

-Mark

--
GnuPG Public Key:
http://www.mkproductions.org/mk_pubkey.asc

Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com
Rock 101.9 The Edge (Rock) - http://www.rock1019.net

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)