XFCE Hangs

Andrew Conkling andrew.conkling at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 19:15:02 CET 2006

On 2/9/06, Andrew Conkling <andrew.conkling at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/9/06, John Lee <johnleemk at gawab.com> wrote:
> > Alexander Toresson wrote:
> >
> > >Please define "Xfce hangs" -- is it just the xfce apps that hang? What
> > >can you do and what is displayed when this happens?
> > >
> > I can move the mouse cursor. That's all. The screen is otherwise frozen
> > and non-responsive. When I click the mouse, it appears to have no
> > effect. Bashing the keyboard -- including attempting to enable/disable
> > caps lock and num lock -- does not result in any response.
>
> With the crazy NVidia bug, you couldn't even Ctrl+Alt+F1 to a vt; can
> you do this?  If so, check 'top' for CPU usage and make sure X isn't
> throttling the CPU.  If not, I would say this is something going on
> with X and/or the video driver.

Followup on my followup: If not, you may also be able to ssh into your
computer, assuming you have this set up and another computer on which
to do it.  If you can do this, you should be able to check 'top'.
This is how I found out what happens when NVidia screws X over. :)

HTH,
Andrew

--
http://aconkling.blogspot.com