XFCE Hangs

John Lee johnleemk at gawab.com
Thu Feb 9 17:23:44 CET 2006

Until yesterday, I was using X.org's XFree86/X11 on Arch Linux 0.7
(Wombat) with XFCE 4.2.0. Because XFCE has a knack for hanging on my
computer (as often as three or four times a day), I just upgraded to
XFCE 4.2.3.2. This hasn't helped much, though.

Sometimes just when I click on something, XFCE hangs. The mouse cursor
can still move, however. It's only XFCE, because my gAIM and XChat beep
when I get new messages. However, I can't quit. All sorts of
combinations of shift, alt, ctrl, backspace and esc have been tried,
none of which will stop/restart X or XFCE. It's very annoying,
considering how frequent this is. I don't think it's my hardware,
because I can compile the kernel just fine (from my experience, if the
processing hardware is damaged, recompiling the kernel is the best way
to test for this). I'm using the generic nVidia driver, so I doubt it's
a driver problem.

Any help is very appreciated. :)

John Lee