Icons on the Desktop

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Feb 8 13:07:13 CET 2006

Harold Aling wrote:
> So there are 3 'components' of XFCE fighting for the desktop? What's the
> use of that? Isn't it better to combine all dev power to form one
> ultimate desktop icon drawing app?
>
> Since XFDesktop already owns my desktop, I vote for icon drawing
> inclusion to be included into XFDesktop...

Thunar won't include a desktop view for 4.4, simply because of the lack
of time. Instead, Brian is working on a simplified desktop view for
xfdesktop4, using the thunar libraries. The problem (well, it can also
be seen as feature, dunno) is mainly that this way, a lot of code may be
duplicated and the desktop view doesn't appear as a real folder (like
folders displayed in the list/icon views), but more like a virtual
folder with limited capabilities.

The problem of replacing xfdesktop4 with a desktop widget in Thunar/Xffm
is simply, that some people may not want their desktop to be managed by
a file manager, but want to keep what xfdesktop4 current provides. And
since Thunar and Xffm are pretty much incompatible by design, this
leaves us with 3 options: xfdesktop, Xffm or Thunar.

> -H-

Benedikt