Changing colors of themes

JoeHill joehill at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 29 23:09:07 CET 2006

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:50:18 +0000
Paul Smith got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> > I've done that with a couple of the Murrina themes, love the fact I can
> > overcome my colour-blindness by using hex values ;-)
>
> Thanks, Joe. The configuration file is in
>
> /usr/share/themes/Clearlooks-Olive/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
>
> Where should I place a copy of it in my home directory?

1st make sure you've got a dir in your home called '.themes'. If it is not
there, 'cd && mkdir .themes'.

Whatcha want to do is, *copy* it to your ~/.themes directory, but under a
different name (your 'version'), so:

cp -r /usr/share/themes/Clearlooks-Olive/ ~/.themes/Clearlooks-<whatever>/

...then you can open the .gtkrc file in gedit or whatever. You'll see one
colour that predominates, like so:

bg[SELECTED] = <some hex colour value>

...if you look through the .gtkrc, you'll see that this is the colour used for
various elements, scrollbars, highlights, etc. If you do a search and replace
with your own custom colour, you will see the change when you reload the theme.

The Murrina themes make it really easy to do this, which is how I figured it
out:

http://cimi.netsons.org/pages/murrine.php

HTH!

--