Xfce cannot start

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Dec 29 20:27:51 CET 2006

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Paul Smith wrote:

> # ps ax | grep xfce4
> 3797 pts/3    S+     0:00 grep xfce4

Paul,

   OK. Nothing else running xfce. How are you getting the pseudo terminal
(pts/3) without X running? It appears that someone has X already running.
Can you type 'ctrl-alt-f7' and see anything?

   On my system (Slackware-10.2), xfce4 is running in tty1 because I start it
manually from the login console. All the apps running in a pseudo terminal
are those running under X.

   Are you logged in on more than one console? If you run 'ps ax | grep bash'
(assuming that's your default shell), you should see where you're logged in.
For example, this is what I get from a virtual console:

[rshepard at salmo ~]$ ps ax | grep bash
  8481 tty1     Ss     0:00 -bash
  6733 pts/1    Ss+    0:00 -bash
  6735 pts/2    Ss     0:00 -bash
  6737 pts/3    Ss     0:00 -bash
  7142 tty1     S      0:00 /bin/bash /home/rshepard/shell-scripts/firefox.sh
27902 pts/3    R+     0:00 -bash

Rich

Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |          Accelerator(tm)