Installation Q: xfce 4.3x on a Debian Stable?

Aaron Cohen acohen36 at linuxquestions.net
Fri Dec 29 00:27:34 CET 2006

Installation Q: xfce 4.3x on a Debian Sarge Stable?
(progress: do not wish it to be too Stable :)

Anyone have some straightforward info on getting the right files and libraries (at one place) for installing the downloadable xfce 4.3x onto such a system, maybe even pkgs that work?

Regarding the "dead 404 page" http://www.xfce.org/index.php?page=documentation&lang=en,
Bob Snyder wrote:

> Yes, but the page is easily found from the
> os-cillation main page.
> Here's a fresh link:
> http://www.os-cillation.com/index.php?id=30&L=5
<http://www.os-cillation.com/index.php?id=30&L=5>

Take a careful look at this os-cillation page (as of 18:00 EST 12/28/2006).
Is it really such a "fresh link" ??
For one, the Requirements listed here are certainly not the only requirements.

> And a copy of the installer is on (and linked from) > the main Xfce web site here:
>   http://www.xfce.org/archive/xfce-4.2.3.2/installers/

Looks like the installer at this site is really an older 4.2x one?
Perhaps you are thinking of the installer at  http://www.us.xfce.org/archive/xfce-4.3.99.2/installers/xfce4-4.4RC2-installer.run, yes?

Next point
> The graphic installers are terrific, I've used them many times.

I somehow highly doubt that anyone has sucessfully used the xfce4-4.4RC2 graphic installer specifically and explicitly following the directions at the above "fresh-link" using an updated Sarge system (apt-get, ...).  Review this os-cillation page again and then go through the referred-to and more obscure http://www.xfce.org/documentation/installers/xfce/ that I originally quoted.
Similar to http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=2849.0 maybe??

xfce4.3+ notgit

--
acohen36's Universal Recursion Postulate:
"There exists at least one subatomic particle in our Universe which CONTAINS at least one non-self subatomic particle."