Installation Q: xfce 4.3x on a Debian Stable Stable?

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Thu Dec 28 11:53:19 CET 2006

Aaron Cohen a écrit :

> Is this even worth it to try xfce further, without having to install a more xfce-friendly distro such as Slackware, Xubuntu, Vector... etc. ??

I'm a sysadmin in South France, and I'm currently migrating several town
halls and public libraries from MS Windows to Linux. Since some of the
hardware is old - like PIII with only 64 to 128 MB RAM - I chose
Slackware 11.0 as main distro, with a hand-compiled XFCE-RC2. It works
really great, and people like it. Plus, on more recent hardware (dual
processors, tons of RAM) you almost get whiplash from using it:oD

I can recommend Slackware as XFCE-friendly distro. I've written a series
of build scripts for a complete office environment. If you choose
Slackware, you can build the latest XFCE very easily from Robbie
Workman's scripts also.

And since you describe yourself as a newbie, let me state that Slackware
is an excellent "learning" distro.

Merry X-Mas,

Niki Kovacs