mount plugin

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sun Dec 24 15:12:25 CET 2006

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006, Scott Jones wrote:

> By default, yes.  Some distributions, though, have targetpw set, which
> causes sudo to ask for the password of the target user (defaults to root
> if no user is specified).

 	Now why in the world would anyone do that?  I don't mean this as a
slight or a knock.  I'm just curious as to the thinking for it.  I guess
its intended to keep people from abusing sudo?  On a single user system
it's not a major security issue (it's still an issue, though) and on a
multi-user system you should have sudo locked down as tightly as possible
(i.e. non of that "ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL" stuff in the sudoers file[1]).
Do you know any specific distros that have targetpw set?  I'd like to look
them over.

Joe

[1] This is something I tend to do on my "desktop" systems out of laziness
but never on a server.  In fact, it's probably way past time to change my
passwd on the server.  As much as I find it annoying I'm going to have to
set expiration times for my user there.  I better do roots, too.  I have
no idea what it's currently set to.