Transparent Panels

JoeHill joehill at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 19 23:32:46 CET 2006

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:02:15 +0100
Olivier Fourdan got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> JoeHill wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:39:32 +0100
> > Mike Massonnet got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:
> >
> >> Nope, nothing like that.  The plugins are transparent too, including the
> >> icons.
> >
> > Hmmmm, you know there might be *some* people, I'm sure who would want the
> > icons to remain opaque, resulting in an almost 'dock' like effect, kinda
> > like the quicklauncher plugin with the animated icons.
> >
> > I don't know who these people are, but I've heard whispers... ;-)
> >

> This requires ARGB windows which are not supported by gtk+-2.6 which we
> target as a minimum version for xfce 4.4 - Not mentioning that this may
> require an update of most if not all plugins, and may also require an
> API change in the panel.

Oh, no, I never meant to suggest it for 4.4. I've seen you mention several
times that there's pretty much a 'freeze' on new features (big ones at least),
as you squash the last of the bugs. Funny, I've been running RC1 for, what,
several months, and I have yet to find a reproducible flaw. I've had hard X
lockups, but that's usually because I'm trying to force too much through my
puny little P4 2.6...

> I'm not totally convinced this is worth delaying the release for a few
> months more :)

Which is why I was playing 'coy'. I think if you were to delay the release even
a week, there would be widespread panic, looting, and all manner of disorder. I
know I'm chomping at the bit, even though it will *definitely* require that I
up to MDV 2007.

The only reason that prospect doesn't send me screaming into the streets is
that the king packager for XFCE4 on Mandriva is Charles, who has never steered
me wrong.

Gonna go pick up a new GPU for handling all these delicious effects with
composite. Can't wait!

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046