Locale settings not honoured - file bug report?

Terry teaman at exemail.com.au
Sat Dec 9 02:09:34 CET 2006

Erik Harrison wrote:
> On 12/7/06, Terry <teaman at exemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that locale settings seem not to be recognised in Xfce.
>>
>> So far, I've had to use shell scripts to open Thunderbird and Thunar and
>> I will have to do the same for KSpread.
>>

> Shell scripts? As in manually setting the locale then launching
> Thunderbird and Thunar?
>
> You say later that some applications obey the localizations and others
> do not. Which apps DO appear localized, and how do you launch them?

Yes.  The shell script has an export command, followed by a call to the
executable.

I said the settings "are not being adopted by all applications".  When I
examine the matter closely in response to your question, I can find no
applications in Xfce which use the system settings.  I now recall that I
had to take extra trouble with OrageClock.  The string %x uses the US
format.  To get the correct format for my locale, I have to use %a %d.%m.%y

One application which has the correct settings is OpenOffice which
controls its own locale settings.  Another is Konqueror which uses the
date format set in Kde.  I had to use a utility in Kde to set the locale.

I have menu shortcuts for all applications which I use.

It seems that Xfce could do with a tool to change the locale for Xfce
and perhaps set date formats.  Would it be appropriate to request such a
feature?

--

Xfce on PCLinuxOS, OOo 2.0.2 (en_GB).
Direct mail to teaman is not opened; if necessary, email realmail.