xgl/beryl on xfce4

Daniel Foote freefoote at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 12:15:42 CET 2006

> Hello i was wandering if it possible to enjoy the beryl effects on xfce,
> ive tried it but i didnt get it

Yes, it works very well with XFCE. I've set up a number of Debian+XFCE
machines with Beryl recently. (Kudos to the XFCE guys for making XFCE
freedesktop.org compliant - which makes this all possible)

I ended up building beryl from their Subversion repository (all the
files are present in a checkout to build debian packages, although it
does require a bit of shuffling to use them).

To start beryl, I use the following shell script (saved as
~/bin/beryl.sh, and autostarted via XFCE's autostart editor):

#!/bin/sh

killall xfwm4
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/libGL.so.1.2 beryl --replace &
emerald --replace &
beryl-manager

Also note that I have a locally built version of MESA (checked out
from CVS) that is installed into /usr/local/lib - this gives me the
Texture from Pixmap extension that is required to make it all work.
I'm told with the latest nVidia Beta drivers you can make this work
without a locally built MESA, but I have not had the time to make this
work yet.

I hope this helps!

Daniel Foote.