[ANN] Xfce 4.4 Beta packages for SUSE Linux 10.x

Bernhard Walle Bernhard.Walle at gmx.de
Sat Aug 26 15:12:17 CEST 2006

Hello,

because I packaged Xfce in the past for SUSE Linux, I write this
announcement. The bad news is that I don't maintain the packages in
Packman or turing.fh-landshut.de any more.

The good news is that current beta packages and the final Xfce version
if it's ready can be downloaded from the SUSE Linux Build Service at

 >>  http://software.opensuse.org/download/X11:/xfce/ <<

Following distrubtions are available:

  * SUSE Linux 10.1
  * SUSE Linux 10.0
  * SUSE Factory (the development snapshot)

The packages are available for

  * i586
  * AMD64

PPC and PPC64 may come in future.

If you use the smart package manager, you can add the repository using

   $ smart channel --add http://software.opensuse.org/download/X11:/xfce/SUSE_Linux_10.1/X11:xfce.repo

if you use SUSE Linux 10.1 and similar for other distributions. YaST2
can also be used to install the packages.

The core packages are made by Pavel Nemec <pnemec at suse.cz> who also
packages Xfce for the SUSE distribution (the "box"). Some minor
packages like panel plugins are packaged by me <bernhard.walle at gmx.de>.

If you encounter any problems, please write to Pavel or to me.

If you would like to see another Xfce-related package, please also
write to me or Pavel. If you're familar to RPM package you can also
build the packages yourself at the Build Service, see
http://build.opensuse.org/.

the #opensuse-buildservice IRC channel in irc.freenode.net.

The SUSE Build Service is not restricted to SUSE, it's also possible
to build packages for following distributions

 * Mandriva 2006
 * Fedora Core 5
 * Fedora Core 4
 * Debian Etch
 * xUbuntu 6.06
 * SLE 10 and SLES 9 (well, that is SUSE as well :))

There's only the requirement that someone maintains the .spec files
for that distributions or the debian/ subdirectory. If you have any
questions about this, again, use the IRC channel or the mailing list.

BTW: Xfce 4.4 is very nice. :)

Regards,
  Bernhard