double click to select phrase - terminal results comparison

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Fri Aug 25 17:56:34 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 11:34 -0400, Joe Klemmer wrote:

> 	I still get the whole file name with a double click in Terminal but I
> tried it with a vanilla xterm and that gives the results you are seeing.
> Thus the problem is with X and not anything related to Xfce at all.
>
> 	On my system (xfce 4.4b2) the xfterm4 script calls up Terminal, which
> is the Xfce specific term.  Your setup must be calling xterm.  I would
> recommend that you use the Xfce Terminal program instead of xterm.

	Just for completeness sake, I installed aterm, mrxvt and rxvt to test
this out with them.  Here are the results for the filename
yum_08-08-2006:

Terminal - double click selects "yum_08-08-2006"
xterm    - double click selects "yum_08"
aterm    - double click selects "yum_08-08-2006"
rxvt     - double click selects "yum_08-08-2006"
mrxvt    - double click selects "yum_08-08-2006"

gnome-terminal and konsole both select the entire filename, of course.

	Don Christensen posted a way to configure xterm to include the  dash
"-" so that it will then give the expected results.

	Also, for future reference, if anyone reports an issue with an app it
would be good to know what exactly is being run.  A good grazing of the
output from "ps ax" or "ps -ef" would be helpful in this.