Changing the default file manager -- as it relates to firefox

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Aug 14 21:15:04 CEST 2006

Erik Harrison wrote:
>>I lean towards KDE style programs when I am using XFCE. I prefer their
>>UI over gnome applications and really dislike nautilus as a file
>>manager. (I usually use Krusader as my file manager).
>>
>>It is quite a pain that nautilus is used by default for many "open
>>with" dialogs, especially from firefox and thunderbird. How can I
>>change XFCE to use Krusader or at least Konqueror for the default file
>>manager (the settings dialog doesn't seem to be able to set the
>>default manager)
>
> First off, this is really the wrong list. You're asking how to have
> Firefox use KDE services. Xfce is really uninvolved.
>
> Secondly, I feel your pain. I'm not sure that the Gnome integration is
> externally configurable, I think instead it's part of the OS
> independant services layer inside Firefox. I've not figured out how to
> make it use Thunar either. If you figure it out, let me know

Atleast for firefox that's easy:

cat <<EOF >> ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list
indode/directory=Thunar-folder-handler.desktop
x-directory/normal=Thunar-folder-handler.desktop
x-directory/gnome-default-handler=Thunar-folder-handler.desktop
EOF

That should replace nautilus with Thunar everywhere in GNOME-stuff where
nautilus is not hardcoded.

HTH,
Benedikt