Will using KDE programs use too much system resources?

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sun Apr 30 23:51:13 CEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 23:35 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> > FWLIW, unless there's an extremely compelling reason not to, I use KDE
> > and GNOME apps under Xfce all the time.  The advantages I have with the
> > way Xfce functions are far more important than it's resource savings.
> > Don't get me wrong, I like the resource savings, but it's not the
> > primary reason I use Xfce.
>
> Really? Xfce is nice and all, but other than someone who is simply
> used to it, what are it's other advantages (other than resouces)?

	For me, the way that things are done with Xfce make my life simpler.
See, I happen to be one of the crazy few that likes and prefers the way
CDE works.  I have my Xfce systems configured to look and act as much
like CDE as possible.  Xfce is better than CDE in that it also has a
number of nice advanced features.  This is one of the reasons that I am
not looking forward to 4.4, though.  As Xfce evolved from version 1.x
through the early 4.x series it still kept isn't ability to mimic CDE.
Now, I know where the developers are going with 4.4 and I'm all for the
advancements but the lack of CDE'ness is going to be a problem for me.
The idea of me writing some plug-ins to fill the void is good but I
don't have the ability to do the programming needed.  Maybe I can make a
plug-in to have the desktop switching buttons but it would be a miracle
if that were to happen.